Tuesday 1 March 2011

Argus C3. Cleaning the viewfinder, rangefinder, lubricates and changing a new leatherette.

 This 1950s' Argus C3 is an interesting and sturdy camera to tinker with. Remove the old leatherette and unscrew some of the screws, you can easily access the viewfinder and rangefinder. I cover the exposed shutter blades with tapes before I worked on the rest. The mechanism is simple and cleaning it has been a breeze!
Adjusting the rangefinder is simply adjusting the 2 screws on the top cover and of course you can adjust them later if you prefer.


Here, I decided to change a new leatherette since the old leatherette is getting hardened and too brittle. I have to scrap off all the old remnants properly before covering it with a new skin!





 My American Argus C3 of the 50s' with a crocodile-type leatherette! The viewfinder and rangefinder is ridiculously clear while the rangefinder knobs is smooth as silk! They don't make these kind of classic cameras anymore!!



Another one has the opportunity to wear something brown and classic! I can change to any type of leatherette I want as long as they are of the same thickness, durable and ready for constant handling! 


No comments:

Post a Comment