Tuesday 1 March 2011

Yashica Mat 124-G. Cleaning the viewing/focusing lens


 Removing the cover of this Yashica mat 124-G is fairly easy with just a few screws.
 The viewing lens is slotted here and tightened by a black screws. Slowly unscrew this and the viewing lens can be removed easily. Just before removing this lens,I just have to remember the position or rather the height of this lens so that it won't affect my viewing later.
 The lens here seems to have some in-grown dirt and what-not for my cleaning and usually I couldn't stand any dirt that may block my view!
 This lens is particularly tightened and I have to use whatever means to open it. It's too risky using some pliers to unscrew it. Here I prefer to use 2 rubber bands to have a better grip and friction to open the lens.
 Finally, I managed to open the lens for my pleasurable cleaning! There are 3 lenses inside the viewing lens and make sure they are placed exactly the same as they should be.
Dirty lens in my hands before cleaning it.Taken against a black background is easy for viewing the dirt here.







 On my way out, I have to make sure the aperture and speed connects properly to the main cover before glueing the leatherette back in place.








 Now this vintage looks decent for my next spin with 120 films. All looks goods and working and not necessary to tinker with the rest unless it is not clicking as it should be.

No comments:

Post a Comment